Karachi: Acting Additional IG issues shoot on sight orders
KARACHI: Acting Additional IG Ghullam Bashir Sheikh said Sunday that criminals who take part in extortion, kidnapping for ransom, rioting or damage property will be shot on the spot.
Speaking to the media during a news conference, the acting Additional IG told reporters that thirteen people were killed during the last 24 hours in Karachi. He added that five of those killed were victims of targetted attacks while the rest were due to some personal rivalry or unknown reasons.
According to the acting Additional IG, the shoot on sight order had been issued to curtail violence in the city. Bashir further said that traders could also shoot extortionists and other criminals in self defence and they would be issued arms licenses’.
The situation in Karachi deteriorated after a political worker, Liaquat Bangash was found dead under mysterious circumstances on the stairs of his flat in Gulistan-e-Jauhar’s Rabia City project. Bangash was wanted by the police in several cases.
Following the discovery of Bangash’s body, unknown men opened fire in several areas of the city including Gulistan-e-Jauhar and Patel Para.
Three men were also gunned down on Super Highway and were identified as Rashid, Iqbal, and Mehmood. Gunmen also shot and killed a man in the Baldia Town area of the metropolis.
Five people including two policemen were injured in various firing incidents in Gulaistan-e-Jauhar.